Serves: 2 / Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Celeriac has such a beautiful flavour, similar to Celery and Parsley, and it’s rich in bone friendly Vitamin K as well as being easy to digest. It is also such an underrated vegetable and, without doubt, one of my absolute favourites.
This colcannon takes only 20 minutes to make, uses very few ingredients and is great for those, like me, who find savoury breakfasts make them less likely to crave sugar later in the day.
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 spring onions, sliced thinly
- A large handful of Kale or Cavolo Nero, stalks removed and roughly chopped
- A sprig of rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- A small knob of butter
- 50ml double cream
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil
- Add your celeriac, pop on a lid and leave to simmer for 15 minutes (or until your celeriac is soft throughout).
- Meanwhile in a large frying pan melt your butter and fry your kale, spring onions, rosemary and chilli for 2 mins, on a medium heat, until a little soft.
- When ready drain your celeriac and allow to steam dry in the colander for a further 1 minute (this will stop your colcannon being to watery).
- Pour your kale mix into a large bowl and put your frying pan back onto a medium heat.
- Crack your eggs into the pan and leave to fry until crispy underneath.
- Mash your celeriac and kale mix together, add your cream, season and mix.
- Place in a mound on 2 plates and top each with a fried egg and a few more chilli flakes.
And that’s it. If you try this recipe I would love to see how you get on! Just use the hashtag #modelmethodrecipes . If you come up with any variations of this recipe that really work please do let me know, I would love to make them myself.
If you haven’t already, you must try my Pesto Courgetti with Chicken & Seeds recipe HERE!